The Open Road Integrated Media Blog: M. E. Kerr on Writing Night Kites

Welcome Forums M. E. Kerr & Other Topics The Open Road Integrated Media Blog: M. E. Kerr on Writing Night Kites

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Michelle Koh
      Keymaster

The Open Road Integrated Media Blog: M. E. Kerr on Writing Night Kites

M. E. Kerr on Writing Night Kites
      Tuesday, October 14, 2014 by Emily
      M. E. KerrIn celebration of LGBT History Month, author M. E. Kerr shares insight into the importance of writing her novel Night Kites, and the impact it had on her life during a time when she was losing friends to the AIDS epidemic in the early 80s.

“When I wrote Night Kites in the early 80s there was no book—hardcover or paperback—featuring gay men with AIDS. There were a few about blood transfusions and the early belief in a Haitian connection, but Night Kites was the first book to deal with AIDS transmitted by homosexual men. I felt frightened and brave writing it, and I know my editors felt the same way. I had already lost several close friends and my story was important to me: that I tell it well and hope it would be received that way. Ultimately it was, but it took awhile for people to realize that we would lose friends and loved ones, that AIDS would change us all, one way or another.” —M. E. Kerr

• This topic was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by Michelle Koh.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.