Comments, continued

We want to keep our original Comments page as well as make room for new comments. Welcome to the next page of comments.

At M. E. Kerr’s request, this is a Comments page where visitors may leave comments without creating accounts. Comments will still be reviewed and may be edited for content. There will be a slight delay in posting new comments but don’t worry. You will see your comment within a day and we will respond if you ask a relevant question!

Read previous Comments.

Please scroll down to the bottom of this page.

12 Responses to Comments, continued

1. Michelle Koh Michelle Koh says:

Shed

This shed is in M.E. Kerr’s backyard. She told me a story about how one of her many rescued cats over the years, Mr. something, I can’t remember, used to hide inside the shed. A young neighbor asked her what he was doing in there. She told him that he was writing a book entitled, “I hate…” and it was a book about all of the things he hated.

I would love to read that book!

2. Michelle Koh Michelle Koh says:

Nice to see this on M. E. Kerr’s birthday! From Booklist’s 50 Best YA Books of All Time, by Daniel Kraus | Booklist Online
    FEATURE. First published May 26, 2017 (Booklist Online).

Booklist Online 50 Best YA Books

Gentlehands, by M. E. Kerr (Harper, 1978).

The Holocaust is the basis for many fine YA novels, but this book did something different. In a contemporary setting, it brought the subject home in a way that raised questions about personal morality as well as collective guilt. When Buddy and his new girlfriend meet his grandfather, they find him erudite and cultured. They are shocked to learn he may be a Nazi butcher.

Thanks to John S. for the head’s up on this!

3. Michelle Koh Michelle Koh says:

It’s that time of year to celebrate Marijane Meaker’s birthday!

Happy birthday 2017

Here is M. E. Kerr holding court on her living room last month (April 2017).

4. Michelle Koh Michelle Koh says:

M.E. Kerr has several home offices. Here is a short video tour of one of them.

5. Michelle Koh Michelle Koh says:

Happy New Year

I took this picture of the first sunrise of the year today at the beach. – Michelle

6. Michelle Koh Michelle Koh says:

I found this old but nice picture of me with M.E. Kerr on her deck. Thought I’d share it.

7. Michelle Koh Michelle Koh says:

Happy Banned Books Week! M. E. Kerr has joined the ranks of authors who have works banned for various reasons. I will re-post previously gathered information below:

banned books week 2012

Reprinted by permission of the American Library Association

As it is Banned Books Week, it seems like the right time to note books by M. E. Kerr that have been banned or challenged over the years. I will list what  I know and I hope M. E. Kerr will chime in and make additions or correct me.

Dinky Hocker Shoots Smack -Banned or challenged for “references to religion, drug use and potential use of heroin.”

Gentlehands – Banned or challenged for “showing one Nazi in a positive light.”

Hello I Lied – Banned or challenged for “homosexual content.”

I’ll Love You When You’re More Like Me – Banned or challenged because “a character has a gay friend.”

Night Kites – Banned or challenged for “discussing AIDS and homosexuality.”

I believe the following titles were “challenged” which means questioned but not banned:

Deliver Us from Evie